Perfect for a crisp fall day. Come back to the inn from hiking in the western North Carolina Mountains and curl up by the fire with some spice cookies and warm apple cider or tea! .
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4-1/2 cup sugar for rolling
- Combine 1cup sugar, melted butter and egg in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Stir in molasses
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger
- Blend into the molasses mixture
- Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350°
- Put remaining sugar in a small deep bowl
- Roll dough into walnut sized balls and roll them in the sugar
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar (optional)