The editor of OutreachNC magazine recently stayed with us and requested our version of this popular recipe. We hope you enjoy it as much as she did!
- 1-2 long loaves of French Bread, sliced at a diagonal
- Orange marmalade (our favorite is Mackays, imported from Scotland and made with champagne)
- 1/2 to 1 Package of Cream Cheese, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Orange zest to taste
- Melted butter for brushing
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray two 11”x17” metal baking pans with cooking spray.
- Using 2 adjacent pieces of the bread per person, lay each pair open like a book
- Spread 1 piece with softened cream cheese
- Spread the opposite piece with orange marmalade (This part reminds me of making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as a kid!)
- Press the two pieces together firmly but gently enough that the filling doesn’t ooze out
- Repeat for 8 “sandwiches”
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and orange zest.
- Dip each “sandwich” in the egg mixture, turning to coat
- Place in prepared pan so they don’t touch one another
- Brush with melted butter
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Dust with confectioners sugar and serve with real maple syrup.