We’ve gotten two requests from guests this week for this recipe and it is so simple that I’m almost embarrassed to share it. This is for Bonnie and Nevada. I hope you enjoy making it at home!
I love grapefruit just as they are with no adornment at all, but to make them even better, I like to bake them with a little brown sugar and top with a dab of homemade cranberry sauce. It’s simple yet elegant. Here’s how.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line a metal baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Cut two grapefruit in half crosswise and trim the bottoms to make sure they sit flat and level in the pan.
- Section the grapefruit with a sharp knife. I highly recommend a two sided grapefruit knife. The double blade on one end cuts both sides of the membrane in one motion, then the scoop blade cuts the back and bottom for easy eating.
- Top each grapefruit half with 1 Tbs of brown sugar.
- For each half cut 1 pat of butter in half and place on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove to individual plates and fill the center hole with just enough homemade cranberry sauce to cover it.
Serves 4. See recipes below for cranberry sauce.
Two Cranberry Sauce Recipes- the Long and the Short Versions
I keep a jar of this cranberry sauce in my fridge, since we make this dish so often. I’ve never tried freezing it, but I can’t see why not!
The Long Elaborate Version:
- 1 cup Ruby Port
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 12 oz bag fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cut sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- orange zest to taste
- Bring port and cinnamon sticks to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add dried cranberries and simmer 3 more minutes.
- Add fresh cranberries, water and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer stirring often for about 20 minutes, until sauce is thickened and berries have collapsed.
- Discard cinnamon sticks and refrigerate.
The Short and Easy Version:
- Take 1 can whole cranberries
- Mix with a dash of ground cloves, ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes