There’s a lot more to do in Asheville this March than drink beer and wear green! This year you can help us celebrate the life and music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart at the Asheville Amadeus Festival. The event is a totally unique 10-day festival presented by the Asheville Symphony Orchestra and headlining world famous violinist Midori. Different locations throughout the city will be hosting concerts, theatre, educational programs, social events and fun kids events.
- It all starts on Friday March 10th with the Festival Kickoff Beer Release and Open House at Highland Brewing Company. Highland Brewing is releasing their Wolfgang 1756, a Vienna-style lager at this event. Yes, in Asheville even Mozart involves drinking beer!
- The next day join comic duo violinist Aleksey Igudesman and pianist Hyung-Ki Joo at the Diana Wortham Theatre as they present a zany mix of music and pop culture.
- “A Wedding with Mozart” will be presented the same day at Lipinsky Auditorium on the UNC Asheville Campus. Wedding themed selections from Mozart’s work will be performed by the Blue Ridge Orchestra culminating with a photo op for guests in wedding dress!
- Monday the 13th and Tuesday the 14th you can take a musical and culinary journey with “Mozart & Miles,” featuring Miles Hoffman, NPR commentator and violinist along with members of the Asheville Symphony. A luncheon will be served, prepared by award winning chef John Fleer, executive chef and owner of Rhubarb!
- Pan Harmonia will present a progressive chamber music concert in downtown Asheville on Monday as well. This musical walking tour will take you to The Haen Gallery, Asheville Museum of Science and Blue Dream Curry House.
- The little kids will have four opportunities to sing and dance on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday at various local libraries were “Eine Kleine Kinder Musik” will take place with Maestro Yvette Odell.
- What Mozart Festival would be complete without a Mozart Requiem Sing-along! Join the 130 voices of the Asheville Symphony Chorus in singing this glorious piece or just listen and be blown away by the sound of over 300 voices celebrating genius. The concert starts Tuesday March 14th at 7:30pm at First Presbyterian Church, but singers should show up at 6:30pm.
- “The Other Mozart” by Sylvia Milo tells the true untold story of Maria Anna Mozart, Amadeus’s sister, nicknamed Nanneri. You can see her brought to life at the Diana Wortham Theatre on Wednesday or Thursday at 8PM
- The NC Stage Company will contribute to the Festival by performing “Sourvenir” based on the life of eccentric socialite Florence Foster Jenkins, who despite being unable to sing on-key, imagined herself to be a coloratura soprano and inspires a following of cult-like fans during the 1930s in NYC.
- Enjoy Austrian Wine Flight Night at Santé Wine Bar in The Grove Arcade on March 2nd and 16th.
- The award-winning Jerusalem Quartet will be bringing the music of Haydn and Beethoven as well as Mozart to the Diana Wortham Theatre on March 17th for a totally different way to spend St. Patrick’s Day.
- Mozart March Madness will also be performed on St. Patrick’s Day by the Asheville Choral Society which is celebrating its 40th season. Besides Mozart, Vivaldi, Gospel and Folk favorites look for a newly commissioned work by composer Matt Wetmore!
- Midori performs in two concerts as well as leading lectures, panel discussions, and a masterclass! She performs in a Saturday afternoon concert March 18th with the Asheville Symphony Youth Orchestra. There will be a Milk and Cookies reception after the concert!
- The Finale Concert that evening, “Mozart Up Close” features Midori, The Asheville Symphony Orchestra and Symphony Chamber Chorus on a specially modified stage in the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium. A 30-foot stage extension will bring the Symphony Orchestra right into the audience.
Tickets to each event are available through the organization hosting the production with several free events during the week. See another side of Asheville, “The Paris of the South” during your visit to the area. You can pick and choose which events look good to you!