Make the most of your food preparation time and get two great meals out of this easy, do ahead salsa recipe. We’re giving you all three recipes here! Make this yummy salsa the night before, use it with our special Chorizo Frittata for brunch the next day, and make a delicious, filling and healthy Butternut Squash Tostada with it for dinner or lunch the following day. Note: Our Chorizo Frittata recipe is featured in a gorgeous new cookbook coming out soon, “Morning in the Mountains”. This beautifully designed cookbook features the recipes of all 15 inns in the Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association. Pre-order here!
So, let’s start with the Cilantro Black Bean and Corn Salsa.
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned corn drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz. can of diced tomatoes & green chilies, drained
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 finely diced jalapeño
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced
- Combine lime juice, scallions, red onion and salt in a medium nonreactive bowl. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except avocado.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When serving top with slices of the avocado.
The next morning use the salsa with our satisfying Chorizo Frittata.
- 8 ounces chorizo, such as LaBanderia Chorizo Fino
- 1teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium red potato, unpeeled
- 1/3 onion, diced
- 1/3 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ to1 jalapeno to taste, diced
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 Tbs butter, divided
- Slice and quarter 1 medium red potato and steam for 7 min. cool
- Remove the casings from the chorizo and crumble into a small frying pan. Sauté until cooked through. Remove to a small bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Preheat the deep part of the Frittata pan* until rim is hot to the touch and add 1 tsp olive oil
- Sauté onion, green and red pepper
- Add chorizo and jalapeno to warm and transfer mixture to a medium bowl with potato
- Whisk together eggs, milk and spices in large bowl
- Add vegie-chorizo-potato mixture and cheese
- Preheat deep part of Frittata pan again over medium heat and add 2 tsp butter
- When foam subsides add the egg mixture and cook ~ 12 minutes or until the eggs are set. (I covered the pan with the old pan)
- When eggs are set add 1 tsp butter to top pan and swirl
- Interlock top to bottom and flip the pan. Cook 2-4 minutes longer.
- Flip the pan again, remove top and shake the frittata loose onto a serving plate or cutting board.
- Divide into 4 slices
* If you do not have a frittata pan don’t worry! Use a large non-stick skillet with a metal handle that you can put in the oven. Instead of flipping the frittata after the eggs have set, put it under a preheated broiler until browned on top.
Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and cilantro on top. Serve with Corn bread and our cilantro black Bean & Corn Salsa.
Refrigerate the remaining salsa to use in this great Butternut Squash Tostada the next day.
- ½ medium butternut squash, seeds scooped out
- Olive oil cooking spray
- ½ tsp. cumin or to taste
- ¼ tsp. chile powder 1 Tbp maple syrup
- 2 Flatbreads
- ½-1 cup Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- ½ medium avocado thinly sliced
- ¼ cup plain fat free yogurt
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice.
- Salt to taste
- Toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Spray squash with olive oil spray and place face down on a baking sheet
- Roast for 45 min. Remove and let cool slightly
- Scoop out into a medium bowl and mash, adding the maple syrup, cumin and chili powder.
- In a small bowl whisk yogurt, lime juice and salt.
- Toast flatbreads on baking sheet at 400° for 5-10 minutes
To Serve: Place flatbread on plates
- Scoop butternut squash mixture on the middle of each flatbread
- Top with a scoop of Black Bean and Corn Salsa.
- Top with sliced Avocado
- Drizzle lime yogurt on top and top with pumpkin seeds.