Entertaining house guests over the holidays just got a lot easier! This sumptuous Blueberry Strata can be made the day before then baked the next morning, giving you more time with your guests. Bursting with fresh blueberries and topped with confectioner’s sugar, this strata has a real holiday feel. Some pure organic maple syrup poured on top completes the decadence! We like to serve it with a celebratory Winter Fruit Salad of pineapple, mandarin oranges, apples and banana heaped on curly green leaf lettuce. It also goes perfectly with a minted fruit salad of kiwi, strawberries and pineapple or in the warmer seasons a poppyseed fruit salad using watermelon, cantaloupe and strawberries. Don’t forget crispy bacon on the side! Your holiday brunch has turned into a celebration in itself, and you have time to enjoy it too!
Serves 8. You can easily scale this recipe up to serve 10 using a glass loaf pan in addition to a 13″x9″ glass baking dish and adjusting the quantity of the ingredients.
- 1 loaf of Rustic Sourdough Bread, cut into cubes
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups milk
- 12 large eggs
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- ½ tps cinnamon
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Additional maple syrup for serving
- Spray a 13×9 inch glass dish liberally with butter flavored nonstick spray
- Line the bottom of the dish with half of the cubed bread
- Scatter evenly with blueberries.
- Cube cream cheese and distribute it evenly over the bread and blueberries.
- Arrange the remaining bread cubes on top
- Whisk eggs, maple syrup and milk together. Mix in cinnamon and pour over bread, pressing the bread down with a spatula to soak it with the egg mixture.
- Spray a sheet of tin foil with nonstick spray, cover the dish and refrigerate overnight
In the morning:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Bake covered for 30 minutes
- Remove tin foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve with warm maple syrup.